Saturday, January 07, 2012

Siomay Bandung

Siomay (or shu may) is a popular snack in my hometown, Bandung. I think this food originally from China or so. It's a steamed dumpling with the fish or mixed of chicken/pork and shrimp filling. 
I think you can find Siomay in most of the cities in Indonesia, but I still feel that Siomay in Bandung is the best you can get :P
When I was in Bandung, my favorite siomay is sold in Jalan Gardujati and Cibadak, i guess it's because I went to a church in the same area. 
Siomay also became my favorite food when I visit Evy,my high school friend. She always order about 50's everytime we have a reunion at her home. Yeah, we hardly cook in Indonesia, mostly we buy food :D






Ingredients:

Siomay:
300 gr shrimps, shell intact, deveined, cleaned, chopped
300 gr chicken/pork fillet, chopped
150 gr tapioca flour
1 eggs, slightly beaten
5 garlics
2 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp ground pepper

Salt to taste
tofu, divided into small triangle forms
1 pack wonton skins


Method:
Siomay:
1. Mix shrimps and chicken meat in the food processor. Blend until smooth. 
2. Add tapioca flour,oyster sauce, sesame oil, salt and pepper. Process until incorporated. Add beaten egg, process it for about 2 minutes.
3. Spoon two teaspoon of mixture and place in the middle of wonton skin. 
4. Scratch the bottom part of tofu. Fill in with the siomay mixture.
5. Place both siomay and tofu in steamer pan. Steam it for about 30 minutes. Remove from the heat.
6. Serve with hard boiled egg, peanuts sauce and kecap. 
7. You can fry the siomay and tofu as alternative; we called it batagor for fried tofu dumpling.





Copyright © 2012 Ovie Ober_Marbun

No comments: