Saturday, November 12, 2016

Brookies

Well, I already told you that I am a big fan of Masterchef Australia, even though I didn't see the whole season this year. Somehow the telly at home only can play either Team Umizoomi or some episodes from Ninjago. This year season one of the "happening recipe" is the Brookies made by the dessert king of the season Harry  Foster for Nigella Lawson's challenge to create a midnight snack. 

I was thinking if  I was the contestant, my midnight snack won't be some sweets... it will be the noodle soup with pork, poached eggs, cheese and chillies.... D'oh, just thinking about it makes me wonder if I have all ingredients for the noodle soup right now...

Ok, enough distraction, now back to the brookies, so a couple of  weeks ago one of my kitchen diva friends, Tari, posted these brookies that she made for her husband. It's just perfect timing because the week after I promised Lucy from church that I will bring some cookies for the children. Haha, another opportunity to bake without the risk of having to eat it myself (I don't like sweet treats, remember). So we made it in the morning before we went to church. The children were excited to help me make the cookies. M is so busy with licking the dough, so I guess hubby has a serious competitor now.


So we brought the cookies to the church for Sunday School and they were gone just like that. They asked me if I have some more somewhere. Well, next time i should bring some more then....

This recipe that I got from Tari is a different type from the one from Harry's - he used cornflour instead of flour and used chocolate instead of chocolate powder. It resembles more to brownies than cookies when I looked at the composition of butter:flour:eggs: chocolate. Should try that one someday... only need the volunteer to eat it. 

The brookies are half brownies+half chocolate cookie. The recipe is versatile, you can make the chocolate (brownie) cookie or chocolate chip cookie by itself or mixed it and call it brookies. The recipe  was created by Kara.



Half Brownies+Half Chocolate Chip Cookies
Ingredients
Brownie Dough:
  • 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp soft butter (more less 130gr)
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 2/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 1/4 cup + 3 Tbsp flour
  • 1/2 cup cocoa
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder


Chocolate Chip Dough:

  • 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp soft butter
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 2/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 cups + 2 Tbsp flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 cup chocolate chips


Method

For brownie dough:
  1. Cream butter and sugars in a large mixing bowl. Add the egg, yolk, and vanilla and beat till creamy, about 2 minutes.
  2. Combine flour, cocoa, soda, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl. Sift into the sugar mixture. Stir till dough is just combined. Cover and chill while preparing chocolate chip dough.


Chocolate Chip Dough

  1. Cream butter and sugars in a large mixing bowl. Add the egg, yolk, and vanilla. Beat till creamy.
  2. Whisk flour, soda, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl. Add to the sugar mixture with the chocolate chips. Stir till ingredients are well mixed.

Assembly
  1. To make cookies, take a small portion of brownie dough and roll it into a ball. Take a small portion of chocolate chip dough and roll it into a ball. Lightly smash the balls together, and form a new larger ball of dough.
  2. Place dough lightly greased cookie sheets. Flatten slightly with your hand.
  3. Bake at 350° for about 10 minutes. Cool on pans for 2-3 minutes, then remove to cooling racks to cool completely.


Copyright © 2016 Ovie Ober_Marbun

No comments: