Saturday, November 12, 2016

Julia's Melting Moments Biscuits







I always wanted to make this biscuit for ages, but the idea of eating biscuit never appealed to me. I just don't like sweet treats. So now and then I will buy some chocolate at the office for "d'oh, this should be done this way not that way moment", but hardly I can finish my chocolate in one go, or sometimes I just get distracted by something and then forgot to eat it for days... It annoys my manager sometime :)

Thankfully, my colleagues are gym friendly people, even sometimes I wonder if they are some undercover professional athletes because  they look so fit even though we have an overflow of chocolate and sweets; unfortunately none of them is the twin of Rafa.

Look at me, I already put every kilo back to it place since I work there. So last Friday was my manager's last day before her wedding leave. We decided to bake a little something to wish her luck with all the preps. So I was thinking about this "Melting Moments" Biscuit because a wedding can be a melting moment for a lot of people.

From the parents who let their baby go to start her/his own family, the merging of two big families with their different backgrounds, the madness of wedding preparations being (finally) over, the joy of your money is my money status becomes official, to the start of where should we spent our christmas dinner... etc.

Anyway, i just found the right opportunity to make these cookies without the need to force myself to eat the cookies. I ate 1 and it really melts in the mouth... not disappointed! Making your own jam is really recommended to balance the sweetness of the biscuit and butter cream. The homemade jam is less sweet than the store bought one. I used frozen mixed berries instead of fresh raspberries for the jam. The biscuits only used about half of the jam I made, so either you make half of it or, if you already have a plan to have a scone on the next day, you keep some for that.

So here is the recipe:

Julia's Melting Moments Biscuits

Ingredients

Biscuits:

180g unsalted butter

60g icing sugar, sifted

60g custard powder

1 teaspoon baking powder

180g plain flour


Vanilla buttercream:

100g butter, softened

2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste

1 cup icing sugar, sifted


Raspberry jam:

250g fresh or frozen raspberries 

250g caster sugar

Juice of ½ a lemon

½ teaspoon gelatine powder

Icing sugar, to serve





Method

  1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Line two oven trays with baking paper.
  2. For biscuits, cream butter for two minutes in an electric mixer with paddle attachment. Add icing sugar and custard powder and mix until combined. Sift the baking powder and flour together then add to the dough and mix well. Roll dough into 40g balls, place on a baking paper lined baking tray and press each ball with a fork to leave an indent. Bake biscuits for 16-18 minutes or until light golden. Stand on trays 5 minutes to cool then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
  3. For buttercream, whisk butter and vanilla until smooth. Add icing sugar and beat until mixture forms a paste, the consistency of thick icing. Spoon into a piping bag fitted with a small star nozzle.
  4. For jam, place raspberries, sugar and lemon juice in a small saucepan and cook for 20-30 minutes until thickened. Mix gelatine powder with one tablespoon cold water together. Remove the jam from the heat, stir through gelatine mixture. Transfer to a heatproof bowl and cool in the fridge.
  5. To assemble, place a spoonful of cooled jam on the base of half the biscuits. Pipe buttercream in a circle onto the base of the other half of the biscuits. Gently press one of each biscuit together to form a melting moment. Dust with icing sugar before serving.

Source: Masterchef Australia


Copyright © 2016 Ovie Ober_Marbun

No comments: